Chapter 1 Why we love R
Thank you for choosing this book on using R for health data analysis. Even if you’re already familiar with the R language, we hope you will find some new approaches here as we make the most of the latest R tools including some we’ve developed ourselves. Those already familiar with R are encouraged to still skim through the first few chapters to familiarise yourself with the style of R we recommend.
R can be used for all the health data science applications we can think of. From bioinformatics and computational biology, to administrative data analysis and natural language processing, through internet-of-things and wearable data, to machine learning and artificial intelligence, and even public health and epidemiology. R has it all.
Here are the main reasons we love R:
- R is versatile and powerful - use it for
- all the statistical tests you can dream of;
- machine learning and deep learning;
- automated reports;
- and even books (yes, this book was written entirely in R).
- R scripts can be reused - gives you efficiency and reproducibility.
- It is free to use by anyone, anywhere.